|The J. F. Wiessner & Sons Brewing Co. Photo taken of print in the book|
Maryland History in Prints 1743-1900 by Laura Rice.
The Wiessner Brewery reached its highest peak of productivity in 1919 by brewing 110,000 barrels of beer that year. They employed 61 people and they had competition just down the street. Both Wiessner and Bauernschmidt had erected modern breweries around the same time, both said to be "show places" of their time. The modern ice machines in these two breweries were the first of their kind in Baltimore. These two breweries brought employment and vitality to the neighborhood by bringing immigrants to the states for employment. In the 1850s, German immigrants established a shooting club, Baltimore Schuetzen Park. It was just north of the Wiessner Brewing complex.
|The Wiessner Townhouse|
|Offices of the J. F. Wiessner Brewery|
|Original brewery complex and buildings taken most likely in the late 1800's.|
|The complex and buildings as they look today.|
|The bottling plant in the rear of the complex once had a zinc statue of King Gambrinus installed|
in a niche above the door.
|A picture of the King when the building that he was on was still standing.|
|The King Gambrinus statue was restored in 2003 and is now housed at the Maryland Historical Society.|
The area around the brewery has long been in decline. Many, if not most of the houses are boarded up and there are very few businesses operating in an area that once thrived with industry of many types. The brewery rehab and the prospective rehab of the A. Hoen & Co. building, just a few blocks down, will hopefully bring new vitality and new jobs to this suffering neighborhood.
|Basketball court at Collington Square Park. The American Brewery tower is in the background.|
|The newly rehabbed American Brewery Building.|