August Beck opened a brewery on Garrison Lane, now the 200 block of Franklintown Road, in 1865. The brewery was successful and in 1876 he built a three-story mansard-roofed home for his family and workers. By the 1900s, the brewery was sold and now called the Frank Steil Independent Brewing Co. The brewery closed due to Prohibition.
|The brewery complex had a concert hall, a beer garden, a restaurant, stables for 10 horses,|
a large brew house, two large ice houses and a beautiful 3 story brick mansard roof mansion.
|The site today. It would appear that most of the buildings on the left side of the complex have survived, although in a very altered state.|
|The old mansion is covered in formstone, but is still standing.|
Joh was German born (according the the 1870 census, he emigrated from Baden. He was 43 in 1870) and opened a brewery in the 101 Willard Street, between Hollins Street and Frederick Avenue. Brewing began here in 1873 and ceased with the onset of prohibition. Nearly 100 barrels were rolled out each year. Brands brewed here included Extra Pale Adonis and Stock Lager. The brewery was expanded and renamed after Ferdinand’s daughter’s husband, Henry Eigenbrot. The 1880 Census shows Henry living with Ferdinand’s daughter, Louisa on Wilkens Street in Snake Hollow Baltimore. He was 34 and Louisa was 24. The census shows that Henry was born in Maryland, but both parents were German born. Henry inherited the operations at the death of Ferdinand.
|The brewery complex in the later part of the 1800s.|
|The brewery today.|
|Update: The row houses on Lombard Street have been torn down. The view of the brewery looks much like the old photo above now.|